If you’re worried about looking for an apartment in South Korea, always keep in mind that there is always a right time in looking for a new apartment. Tenants are always free to continue moving, upgrading, and evaluating new apartments with potential at the end of the lease. Now could be the perfect time to determine when to start looking for an apartment to ensure a smooth transition. Ziptoss is a real estate company that helps foreigners find their perfect home in South Korea.
When is the best time to get an apartment?
In terms of getting a new apartment in South Korea, the process is very different from other countries. It will also depend on how long you will be staying.
- Long-term stay- You can get an apartment 1 month in advance.
- Short-term stay- You can get an apartment 1 to 2 weeks in advance. For short-term stays, the turnover is faster. If you cannot move in within 1 to 2 weeks, you might not be able to deposit the down-payment.
In real estate agencies, it is difficult to look for an apartment 1 month in advance. It is not good to check too early because it might be gone once you’re ready to get the apartment of your dreams. It is preferred to look for a new home at least two weeks in advance to make sure that the listing is still available.
Tips in preparing
- Avoid preparing too ahead. This is good to do in other countries but in South Korea, it might not be needed because the market moves faster than in other countries. So if you have chosen a prospect a month before, it could no longer be available after a couple of weeks. It’s better to prepare at least two weeks before moving.
- Maintain a good relationship with your landlord. It is important to maintain a good professional relationship with your landlord as you end your lease so that there will be no hard feelings on both parties.
- Make sure you’ve settled everything financially. A couple of weeks before moving into your new home, make sure that you’ve managed your budget and paid all remaining utility bills from your current apartment to avoid having conflicts and extra costs.
Wait for the right timing
Some people like to prepare well ahead of time and start looking for a new place several months before they have to move out of the old housing. This is not a good idea because the housing market in Korea moves quickly. It can feel a little stressful but three to two weeks, before your current contract expires, is plenty of time to find new housing in Korea. Koreans work at a fast pace and everyone does it this way.
Note: When finding an apartment in Korea, the easiest way to handle this is to visit a real estate agent and have them help you in the process.